Friday, November 12, 2010

Cooking help, opinion of this Thai recipe?

Hi all. I know there is a cooking section but thought I throw this up here.

I'm entering a cooking contest in the US and need to prepare a shrimp dish. I thought of making ';krathak'; or firecrackers.

Shrimp marinated in fish and soy sauces and homemade red curry paste. Then they are wrapped in wonton wrapper, tail sticking out a tied up with an egg noodle bow. Then deep fried in the wok.

I never came across this while living in Thailand.

Have you eaten these?

How were they presented? What sort of dipping sauce might you use?

Thanks so much for any opinion you can give me!!

Sam :)Cooking help, opinion of this Thai recipe?
I have encountered something like what you describe presented in Bangkok restaurants and hotels, served as finger food or a starter.



Basically they are a shrimp in a wrapper and deep fried. There are a number of variations, the shrimp may be simply marinated and wrapped, or they may be seasoned and stuffed with either chicken, pork or shrimp filling and then wrapped. Sometimes they are wrapped in egg noodle and fried - rather than won ton wrapper.



One restaurant calls them ';koong hom pha'; - shrimp in blanket. Firecracker in Thai is ';bpra-that'; - so you may wish to check the name.



This dish can take up a lot of oil if the shrimp is not sealed well in the wrapper. Using egg yolk or cornstarch/water ';glue'; will help make a good seal when wrapping.



Presentation is usually on Salad leaves with some carved vegetable decorations and Green Chili Sweet and Sour Sauce for dipping.



I think this dish may actually be a Thai variation on a Southern Chinese or Vietnamese theme.



Hope this helps... good luckCooking help, opinion of this Thai recipe?
I've been to Thailand a few times- I've never heard of this dish before. If anything, it sounds more like a Chinese influenced dish to me. It does, however, sound delicious! I think you'd need a sweetish/sour sauce- maybe with the addition of some red chili flakes to add some kick. How about a tamarind paste based dipping sauce?



Presentation-wise, I think you should stick with the traditional southeast asian theme- serve with the dipping sauce, fresh herbs (cilantro, thai basil, mint) and fresh leaves of butter lettuce.
I am not a chief; but I did live in Thailand. Haven't seen this dish, although it sounds very good. Cheers c
Never heard of krathak, but it sounds like a dish i have in the chinese yum cha which is delicious.



chilli dipping sauce would be nice.
You might find this in Bangkok's chinatown..but I wouldn't really call this a ';traditional'; Thai dish. As for the sauce I think you're going to want something a bit thick, else it won't stick well to the wontons...you should make a sweet chili sauce to go with this.



dboy

No comments:

Post a Comment