Friday, November 12, 2010

How do i clean a burnt wok?

Just cooked my dinner and a wok with hot fat caught fire. Ugly mess. Can i rescue it and if so what's the easiest and most effective means to clean it. I think it's also non stick so I don't want to further ruin what's left of it.How do i clean a burnt wok?
The best way to clean it will be Ajax with bleach then wash it with soap.How do i clean a burnt wok?
Well fat is removed with soap but teh burnt on mess it goind to require the mechanical action of scrubbing. I would heat it gently and scrub with some salt. As you get through the layers of oil you may start to apply vinegar to clean up metal surface.



I would be extremely reluctant to use poisons such as bleach and ajax for woks are of the nature that they become ';seasoned';. Do you really want to have ajax residues when you cook your next food. woks are not that expensive I would trash the thing before I added poison to my wok.
stainless steel? Ajax, Comet, dishsoap and hot water and elbow grease and a SOS pad and you should be able to save it.



If it is non stick Teflon coating=turf city You burnt off the teflon. Now that burnt flavour will remain.
If its Teflon you've killed it, sadly.



If its stainless steel, Ajax and some wire wool or a scourer will sort it out.
Caustic soda solution is good for removing carbon deposits. It is dangerous stuff, so read the label carefully. May take several hours to work its stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment