Friday, November 12, 2010

How do you prevent a wok from rusting?

I purchased a wok and the instructions were to treat it with oil and to bake the pan with the wooden handles covered with foil at 500 F for 30 minutes to ';treat it';. The problem is I have done this many times and the wok continues to rust after I use it. I always wash and dry it immediately after use but when I go to use it again...rust. I have to remove the rust before I can cook in it each time. As I said, I have treated it many times. I'm a vegetarian so please don't suggest using lard or other animal fat to treat it.How do you prevent a wok from rusting?
If you wash it with soap, you are removing the seasoning and it will rust.



Wok care is tricky. It matters how you cook with it too. Here's more info on seasoning and keeping your wok in good shape. http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/feature鈥?/a>How do you prevent a wok from rusting?
the oven process you mention is for the initial curing of the pan. Thereafter, if you see rust, just go at it with a little steel-wool and get on with things.

Its a good idea to coat the wok lightly with mineral oil every time or two. Just the merest coating will help to retard rusting.
after each use, wash it and put a light coat of oil on it everytime.
yes, simply put. just coat lightly with oil after you wash it.
Restaurant woks don't get soaked in or washed with soap because that removes the cure. Instead, they get wiped out with water, dried and a fine layer of neutral oil is applied. Sometimes they get rubbed with salt if there is a stubborn spot. Woks in oriental restaurants are in constant use over high heat so those woks are cured to the point of being non stick. You'll never see rust on theirs.



I treat my wok the same way as above and spray baking spray on it then wipe it down with a soft cloth. It's pretty dark on the outside now and the inside has cured well over the years, too. Some people think that is a bad thing and will scrub their wok to death and then things stick or it gets rusty. The trick is to not let air get to the surface and cause rust in between cooking times . Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment