Friday, November 12, 2010

Issues with rice noodles?

Anyone have suggestions for cooking rice noodles successfully? Last night I made pad thai for the first time. My first time with rice noodles. The dish was excellent except for the noodles. The package said to soak for 10 min and then cook in wok. I soaked for about 30 min because I was busy with the other stuff. After I cooked the noodles they were still way too hard and inedible. I ended up fixing it by putting water in the wok and a lid over to steam for awhile.

I want to know how to cook the noodles correctly the first time.Issues with rice noodles?
Bring two cups of water to a boil, in a medium saucepan, then put in 4 ounces of rice noodles, take off the burner, and let them soak for approx. 5 minutes. Rinse in cool water in a collander for about 30 seconds, then drain. After stir frying your pad thai ingredients, add noodles, sauce, toss well until heated thru, and enjoy! Got these instructions from a Vietnamese friend of mine. Delish, and works every time with perfect noodles. Happy Eating!!Issues with rice noodles?
thanks. I got a thinner noodle this time and soaked them in hot water. it seemed to do the trick!

Report Abuse


Did you soak in boiling water? My only suggestion,sorry.
Yeah that soaking thing has never worked for me either. A few months ago I used rice noodles in a baked dish for friends that don't eat regular noodles. I cooked them in boiling water just like regular wheat noodles. They don't take nearly as long, of course. Just check them every couple of minutes.
I haven't had a problem. The 10 minute soaking works for me, and then drain and put in the stir fry to cook some more. My guess is that you did not soak them in enough water. Sometimes they expand and poke up in the air. Make sure they are in plenty of water, have room to expand, and the water covers them by an inch or so. I think you need to use a bigger soaking bowl. Good luck on your next attempt!

No comments:

Post a Comment